Aries Electronics has added a unique adapter series to its extensive line of Correct-a-Chip adapters that save end users both time and money. The new BGA Switch-A-Pitch Adapters enable the use of smaller pitch devices with larger pitch boards.
The first Switch-A-Pitch adapters in the series have tops where the BGA “landing pads” (on the top of the adapter) are on a 0.5 mm, while the adapter bottoms are populated with BGA balls on a 1.27 mm pitch.
These innovative adapters can reduce high density interconnect (HDI) construction by adapting smaller pitch devices to larger footprints. In essence, the adapters allow the use of new, tighter pitch devices on existing larger pitch designs – which vastly lowers the PCB cost, since larger pitch boards are readily available and therefore more economical.
Since the top of the adapter board can leave open space around the small device, adapter manufacturers can add components to the design at a very low cost. The need for laser-drilled microvias on motherboards is eliminated. Standard line and trace spacing down to 0.003” (0.75 mm) can be used.
Switch-A-Pitch boards are 0.062” (1.57 mm) thick FR4 or Rogers 370 HR, with 1/2 oz. copper traces on both sides. The non-solder mask defined (NSMD) pads are finished with electroless nickel immersion gold (ENIG) and have solder spheres of 63/37 lead/tin or of lead-free SAC305 alloy. The device can operate up to 221°F (105°C) for FR4 or up to 226°F (130°C) for lead-free. Suggested PCB pad sizes include 0.022” (0.55 mm) for a 1.27 mm pitch.
- Reduce HDI construction by adapting smaller pitch devices to larger footprints
- Convert 0.4mm and 0.5mm pitch footprints to 1mm or 1.27mm pitch (Please contact factory for other pitch requirements)
- Enable the use of standard line and trace spacing
- Eliminate the need for laster-drilled microvias motherboards
- Board Material: 0.062" thick FR4 or Rogers 370 HR, with 1/2-oz. Copper traces, both sides
- Pads: finished with ENIG (Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold), NSMD
- Solder Spheres: 63/37 Sn/Pb or Lead-free SAC 305
- Trace width/space down to 0.003" [0.75mm]
- Operating Temperature: 221°F [105°C] FR4, 266°F [130°C] Lead-free